Generation of organic fertilizers
El municipio de The municipality of Tianguistengo has a primarily mountain range surface which is highly sensitive to water and wind erosion. The loss of soil does not only consist of the loss of cultivable land, but also in the loss of organic carbon from the soil, plant nutrients, as well as the associated plants, animals, the microbial biodiversity and, as a consequence, the decrease of soil fertility. In the participated localities, practices that further said loss are found such as stubble burning, use of herbicides or soil removal because of the weeding with a hoz, as well as not incorporating composts into the crops. The farmers of the zone relate the decrease of the soil fertility to affectations of their primary crop, which is maize, since the plants do not crow sufficiently and are therefore harvested less often and their cobs are small. Similarly, their crops’ efficiency is varies and occasionally does not enable them to cover the family’s food necessities.
The project’s objective
This project aims at benefiting the region’s organic matter for the implementation of the two composters and thus improving the plots’ fertility. On a par with that, workshop are given to broaden the local knowledge about the composters’ functioning, to reflect on the applied methods and to search for new forms of generating other fertilizers on the base of local resources.
Through the generation and usage of organic fertilizers, the outcome can be stabilized on the long run, providing a spectrum of nutrients and maximizing the feedback with low levels of technology and limited resources. The generation of 1.5 tons of composts represents a benefit for the farmers who can also interpret the values of the market prices of the mineral and organic fertilizers on sale in the region, as well as the commercial value of the products derived from the augmentation of the productivity of their plots.
The project’s direct counterpart are 20 famer families of the localities of Ixcotitlán and Tonchintlán which have participated since the diagnosis of the problemactic local environment to the soil management and are main actors in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the planned strategies.
Fertilizers. Two types of fertilizers were put into practices, one of slow decomposition and another one of fast. Both fertilizers were made of different local materials which are available in the communities and their development will be monitored. The expected result of the component is the realization of three composters, two fast and one slow, which provide a tons and a half of fertilizer (a ton in Tonchintlán and half in Ixcotitlán).
Other fertilizers. Workshops that provide a place of exchange and reflection of the alternative material to use for the generation of other organic fertilizers. The expected results it to at least realize one workshop with a duration of two hours maximum during each of the monthly visitations to the communities. We encourage the workshops to be mixed in the way that eventually women will be involved in the generation of home composters which enable a better management of household wastes.
- In the month of January, the composter workshops were taught in the communities of Tonchintlán and Ixcotitlán.
- 3 initial composters were made, resulting in 1,2 tons of compost.
- A group of women was incorporated in Tonchintlán which also set up their own composter, resulting in 380 kg of compost.
- In Tonchintlán, an additional composter was set up by a group, producing 303 kg of compost.
- In Ixcotitán, a farmer set up an additional composter with the support of another farmer, reaching a total of 486 kg of compost.
- In Tonchintlán, the farmers committed to continue building individual composters under the scheme of “mano vuelta” for the recollection of materials.
- During the 6 visitations, 4 workshops comprising a total of 161 participants were given
- In total, 6 composters were built after concluding visitation number 6 with a total of 2,4 tons of compost. This represents the double amount of the initial goal.